Sunday, September 22, 2013

A Day in the Dark

I started my 24 hours of no technology on thursday night at 8pm watching XFactor. I usually watch this with my sister through text messaging, but this time I watched it alone. During the show, I found myself reaching for the non-exsistent cell phone on the coffee table every time I liked a contestant.
The next day I just slept till I woke up on my own, because I would usually use my cell phone as an alarm clock. I then did laundry, which was pretty annoying because I had to keep my eye on the microwave clock (only clock in my entire dorm room) to know when it would be done. I didn't do such a great job, but luckily someone put in the dryer for me. It was then at 12 noon I had lunch with Bobby, we had to plan a time because I wasn't able to just text him to eat.
The rest of the day was extremely boring. I figured I would take the time to do homework, but quickly realized I needed my laptop for all of it. I then decided to write letters to my friends at bootcamp, since I didn't need internet for that. I was wrong, I went to address the envelopes and realized I needed my cell phone because it had their addresses in it. Well, I had to mail them the next day. I then felt the need to get out of my dorm room so I walked to the library and sat outside to read. At 5pm, I had a meeting for the Wildcats Events Board Advertising panel (luckily I had the library clock to tell me the time). At the meeting everyone had there cell phone's out to take notes, type in dates, and look up the activities. Meanwhile, I just sat there with a pencil and paper taking notes. I ate dinner, and then went to bed early with nothing better to do.
I did not like hated this assignment, and hope to never have to go through a day of no technology again. I felt so out of reach from everybody. I couldn't tell people what I was up to or how I felt about the contestants. I couldn't text someone to see if they just wanted to hang out. I got behind on homework because I couldn't use my laptop to type up the essays. It was definitely an eye opener when I turned my phone  on that night and heard my ringtone about 30 times to tell me about all my social media apps. My cell phone is like my security blanket, and leaving the dorm with out it felt very wrong. It was almost like I was leaving apart of me behind. Definitely an eye opener to how much I rely on technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment